CAREFULLY TO CARRY. TENTH REPORT OF THE ASSOCIATION'S ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON CARGO CLAIMS
This latest edition considers the carriage of potatoes and soybean and soybean meal. For potatoes the problems of heat production and infestation are considered, recommendations on ventilation are made and the trade in potatoes outlined. The problems of soybean carriage are described as well as methods of discharging damaged cargoes. Comment is made about a darker colour being the principle sign of damaged beans. The section on packaging of cargoes for ocean carriage looks at the pre-packaging of goods in cartons, sacks, rigid plastic containers and rigid drums and stresses the need to ensure adequacy of packaging for the rigours of sea transport. The carrier is responsible for liquid bulk cargoes from the time of loading to time of discharge and includes the loading and discharging operations. This requirement of the Hague & Hague Visby rules requires for the issue of a bill of lading an effective sampling system. The next section of the booklet describes many aspects of sampling including sampling procedures, sampling labelling, storage and instruments, many of which are illustrated. The last two articles cover vacuum packed chilled meat and the transport of dangerous chemicals, mentioning in the latter case various incidents including portable tanks of a product called ethylidene norbornene.
- Copies of the original material available to members at a cost of 0.15 pounds per page, and to non-members at 0.30 pounds per page to include postage. There will be a minimum charge of 3.00 pounds to members and 6.00 pounds to non-members for this service.
Mutual Steamship Assurance Assoc (Bermuda) Ltd,
- Publication Date: 1979-12
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Bills of lading; Bulk cargo; Chilled cargo; Containers; Exports; Farm produce; Hazardous chemicals; Liquid bulk cargo; Loss and damage; Packaging materials; Transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Agricultural exports; Cargo damage prevention; Cargo ventilation; Hazardous chemicals transportation
- Subject Areas: Materials; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00319007
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Cargo Handling Coordination Assn
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM