PROBLEM IDENTIFICATION FOR HIGHWAY SAFETY PLAN
To comply with Section 402, Title 23 of the United States code, each state is required to prepare an annual highway safety program. Kentucky's program, which includes identification, programming, budgeting, and evaluation of highway safety projects, is intended to have a positive impact on the reduction of traffic accidents. The first step in the program, problem identification, requires systematic, statistical analyses of accident records. In-depth analyses of accident data were performed, and 29 problem areas were investigated. Accident rates were found for counties and cities in the following categories: total accidents; fatal accidents; accidents by driver age and sex; and speed-, alcohol-, and drug-related accidents. In addition, rates were reported for accidents involving pedestrians, bicycles, motorcycles, school buses, commercial buses, combination trucks, single-unit trucks, railroad trains, and emergency vehicles. This is the second report on problem identification prepared for the Office of Highway Safety Programs. Last year's problem identification analysis was included in its entirety in Kentucky's Annual Highway Safety Plan for fiscal Year 1980.
- Record URL:
- See also report dated May 79, PB-298826.
Frankfort, KY United States 40601
- Pigman, J G
- Agent, K R
- Crabtree, J D
- Publication Date: 1980-3
- Pagination: 75 p.
- TRT Terms: Budgeting; Buses; Commercial vehicles; Crash rates; Drugs; Evaluation; Highway safety; Highways; Motorcycles; Pedestrian-vehicle crashes; Planning; Prevention; Project management; Safety; School buses; Statistical analysis; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Trucks
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents
- Geographic Terms: Kentucky
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Finance; Highways; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 00318965
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: RR-543 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Nov 19 1981 12:00AM