ASSESSMENT OF THE RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THE USE OF CARBON FIBERS IN SURFACE TRANSPORTATION
This report presents the results of an assessment of the potential risks associated with the use of carbon-fiber composites in the surface transportation system and the development of a data base on the vulnerability of the surface transportation system to airborne carbon fibers. In conducting the risk assessment, TSC estimated the potential usage rate of carbon-fiber composites in surface transportation, the frequency and severity of vehicle fires and the expected carbon-fiber release from the composite in a fire. In developing the data base on the vulnerability, TSC reviewed and analyzed the electrical and electronic systems present in the various surface-transportation modes.
- Record URL:
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Hathaway, W T
- Hergenrother, K M
- Bogner, C E
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: 108 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Building materials; Carbon; Carbon fibers; Composite materials; Crash injury research; Crashes; Databases; Fibers; Fires; Hazards; Light vehicles; Motor vehicles; Research; Risk analysis; Risk assessment; Short circuits; Transportation; Vehicle weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fire hazards; Transportation systems
- Subject Areas: Research; Safety and Human Factors; Transportation (General); Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00318934
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-RSPA-80-10 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 19 1981 12:00AM