APPLICATION OF THYRISTORS IN RAILWAY TECHNOLOGY: CONSEQUENCES AND REMEDIES. PART II--POWER TECHNOLOGY PROBLEMS. STUDY OF ADVERSE REACTIONS IN THE POWER SUPPLY SYSTEM
The disadvantages of the application of thyristors in respect of power systems are investigated in the present report. These disadvantages arise from undesirable effects in the traction current circuit and the power supply network as well as the loads connected to it. Both d.c. as well as a.c. traction systems are considered. The most important sources of interference are thyristor locomotives, but harmonics can be generated also in sub-stations with static converters. With a.c. traction the increased harmonics content in the current and the larger phase angle between current and voltage lead to a reduction of the power factor. As a result, the current increases accompanied by a voltage drop in the circuits, while the effective power remains unchanged, and the d.c. and eddy current losses are higher. The increased harmonics can also produce oscillations in the traction current circuit and the public power supply network. To obtain adequate electro-magnetic compatibility between the sources of the disturbance and the objects affected a number of measures can be taken (e.g. installation of filters, tuned circuits, introduction of active filters, careful termination of circuit ends, etc.). The decision on which of the measures should be used depends largely on the type of traction used and must be made from case to case taking into account cost-benefit considerations.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 42 p.
- TRT Terms: Converters (Electricity); Electric power supply; Electric substations; Electromagnetic interference; Harmonics; Interference; Power factor (Electricity); Railroad electrification; Thyristors; Traffic signal phases
- Uncontrolled Terms: Phase angles
- Old TRIS Terms: Converters; Power factor; Question a122
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053404
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: A 122/RP 24 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 15 1981 12:00AM