NEAR TERM HYBRID PASSENGER VEHICLE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM, PHASE 1
Missions for hybrid vehicles that promise to yield high petroleum impact were identified and a preliminary design, was developed that satisfies the mission requirements and performance specifications. Technologies that are critical to successful vehicle design, development and fabrication were determined. Trade-off studies to maximize fuel savings were used to develop initial design specifications of the near term hybrid vehicle. Various designs were 'driven' through detailed computer simulations which calculate the petroleum consumption in standard driving cycles, the petroleum and electricity consumptions over the specified missions, and the vehicle's life cycle costs over a 10 year vehicle lifetime. Particular attention was given to the selection of the electric motor, heat engine, drivetrain, battery pack and control system. The preliminary design reflects a modified current compact car powered by a currently available turbocharged diesel engine and a 24 kW (peak) compound dc electric motor.
- Sponsored in Part by DOE Prepared for JPL.
Minicars, Incorporated55 Depot Road
Goleta, CA United States 93117
National Aeronautics and Space Administration600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20546
- Publication Date: 1980-1
- Pagination: 144 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Automobiles; Compact automobiles; Costs; Design; Diesel engines; Fuel consumption; Hybrid automobiles; Hybrid vehicles; Lead acid batteries; Life cycle costing; Microcomputers; Performance based specifications; Safety factors; Simulation; Specifications; Technology; Transmissions; Turbochargers; Urban transportation; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Small car; Turbocharging
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Finance; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I96: Vehicle Operating Costs;
- Accession Number: 00318665
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-CR-163235 Final Rpt., JPL-9950-337
- Contract Numbers: NAS7-100, JPL-955188
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1981 12:00AM