INCREASED RAIL TRANSIT VEHICLE CRASHWORTHINESS IN HEAD-ON COLLISIONS. VOLUME IV. TRAIN USER'S MANUAL
A specific goal of safety is to reduce the number of injuries that may result from the collision of two trains. In Volume IV, a computer code for the simulated crash of two railcar consists is described. The code is capable of simulating the mechanics of head-on impact of two consists on straight level track. The simulation is limited to two dimensions, namely a vertical plane containing the length of the track. The user can model the individual car components or cars in a complex or as simple a manner as is warranted by the simulation results desired. Although specifically developed for transit cars, the code can also be used to simulate freight trains or intercity passenger trains.
- See also Volume 1, PB80-205727.
IIT Research Institute10 West 35th Street
Chicago, IL United States 60616
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Tech Development & Deployment, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hahn, E E
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: 233 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Crash injury research; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Dynamic structural analysis; Dynamic tests; Dynamics; Freight trains; Frontal crashes; Mathematical models; Passenger cars; Passenger trains; Passenger transportation; Railroad cars; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Research; Safety engineering; Simulation; Structural analysis; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis; Vertical dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger car design; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00318518
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0025-804 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1052-4
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 27 1981 12:00AM