INCREASED RAIL TRANSIT VEHICLE CRASHWORTHINESS IN HEAD-ON COLLISIONS. VOLUME I. INITIAL IMPACT
A specific goal of safety is to reduce the number of injuries that may result from the collision of two trains. In Volume I, a two-dimensional analytic simulation model of the leading cars of two impacting transit car consists is formulated. This model is capable of simulating the mechanics of head-on initial impact of two transit cars on straight level track. Specifically, the model is capable of establishing the critical parameters which govern whether the cars crush, override, or crush with subsequent override. This simulation model is used to assess impact control devices currently in service, such as anticlimbers, couplers, and draft gear. The report also presents a detailed experimental test plan for evaluating the strength and effectiveness of future designs of impact control devices which has been developed.
- See also Volume 2, PB80-205743.
IIT Research Institute10 West 35th Street
Chicago, IL United States 60616
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Tech Development & Deployment, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hahn, E E
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: 70 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Crash avoidance systems; Crash injury research; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Dynamic structural analysis; Frontal crashes; Gears; Mathematical models; Occupant protection devices; Passenger cars; Passenger transportation; Railroad cars; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Research; Safety; Safety engineering; Simulation; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Draft gears; Impact protection
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger car design; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Design; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00318517
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-80-17-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1052-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 27 1981 12:00AM