PROPOSED ANALYSIS METHODOLOGY FOR RAIL CAR PROPULSION SYSTEM SELECTION
This report proposes a rail car propulsion system selection methodology based on life cycle costing. The objective of the proposed methodology is to provide transit operators with a practical method of calculating propulsion system life cycle costs to be used in bid evaluation of different rail car propulsion and control system technologies. If life cycle costing is to become part of the car acquisition process, it is important that the methodology is known and accepted by the suppliers and purchasers. The analysis methodology as presented here is to some extent based on previously applied methods and includes results from new work performed for this project. In this report, recent railcar propulsion system procurement practices and other related information were reviewed, and discussions were held with propulsion system suppliers and various operating systems. Results of this research were used in the development of the propulsion system evaluation and selection methodology, and the structured application of life cycle costing.
Lea (N. D.) and Associates, IncorporatedWashington, DC USA
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Bamberg, W
- Eldredge, Don
- Publication Date: 1980-5
- Pagination: 50 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Bids; Cash flow; Control systems; Costs; Electric multiple unit cars; Equipment; Life cycle costing; Maintenance; Maintenance management; Maintenance practices; Materials; Materials management; Motors; Planning; Procurement; Propulsion; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Specifications; Traction; Vehicle power plants
- Candidate Terms: Traction drives
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Propulsion systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical techniques; Equipment specifications; Materials replacement; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00318490
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0229-80-1Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-60069
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 27 1981 12:00AM