FIELD EVALUATION OF ADVANCED METHODS OF SUBSURFACE EXPLORATION FOR TRANSIT TUNNELING
This report presents the results of a field evaluation of advanced methods of subsurface exploration on an ongoing urban rapid transit tunneling project. The objective of this study is to evaluate, through a field demonstration project, the feasibility, applicability, reliability, and cost effectiveness of selected advanced methods of subsurface exploration and instrumentation to produce data usable for rapid transit tunnel design and construction within the time, cost, and schedule constraints common to the industry. Numerous methods of subsurface exploration, including hole advancement techniques, sampling procedures, and geophysical logging tools, were used to predict stratigraphy within a test section on an urban rapid transit project under construction. A test section on the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Red Line Extension-Northwest, Cambridge, Massachusetts, was selected to evaluate methods of subsurface exploration used to investigate stratigraphy, ground water levels, bedrock structure, and other geotechnical parameters. The site represents a typical urban setting with the test section located under a major, four-lane divided street, with structures adjacent on both sides.
- Prepared in cooperation with Haley and Aldrich, Inc., Cambridge, MA.
Bechtel Corporation50 Beale Street
San Francisco, CA USA 94119
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Thompson, D E
- Humphrey, J T
- Young, L W
- Wall, C F
- Publication Date: 1980-6
- Pagination: 405 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Construction; Costs; Excavation and tunneling; Field tests; Geological events; Geological surveying; Geophysical prospecting; Groundwater; Instrumentation; Rapid transit; Rock mechanics; Soil mechanics; Soil stabilization; Structural design; Subways; Tunnels
- Non-Preferred Terms: Soil surveying; Subsurface investigations
- Identifier Terms: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Tunnel design
- Old TRIS Terms: Geological conditions; Ground water conditions; Rapid transit railways; Subway construction
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Finance; Geotechnology; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00318485
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-80-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1570
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 27 1981 12:00AM