VEHICLE LATERAL CONTROL AND SWITCHING. VOLUME II. DESIGN AND ANALYSIS. PART B. VLACS EVALUATIONS
This report contains design and analysis results from UMTA's Vehicle Lateral Control and Switching (VLACS) Project of the Automated Guideway Transit Technology (AGTT) Program. The objective of the VLACS project is to develop lateral control and switching systems which will reduce the cost and improve the performance of these systems on automated transit vehicles. The VLACS project tasks include a review of existing lateral control and switching technology, detailed mathematical modeling, analysis, simulation, detailed hardware studies, experimentation with alternative designs, and development of guideline specifications for VLACS systems. In this report, lateral control system models are developed for wire-follower, wall-follower active, and wall-follower passive lateral control systems, including the vehicle, lateral position sensors, and actuators. Vehicle dynamic models are developed for vehicles having Ackermann steering geometry and for vehicles with wagon-wheel steering. AGT vehicle models developed include ten-degree-of-freedom models used for ride quality analysis and simpler three-degree-of-freedom models used for lateral control system design and analysis. Part B of this report contains systems evaluations.
- See also Volume 2, Part A, PB80-199730, and Volume 3, PB80-199755. Also available in set of 7 reports PC E99, PB80-199714.
Otis Elevator CompanyTransportation Technology Division, 11380 Smith Road
Denver, CO United States 80010
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Tech Development & Deployment, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Fry, C M
- McHugh, T
- Greeson, J
- Publication Date: 1980-3
- Pagination: 528 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated guideway transit; Automatic control; Guideways; Mathematical models; Rapid transit; Simulation; Steering; Structural design; Switching; Urban transportation; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experimental design; Switches
- Old TRIS Terms: Guideway design; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00318459
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: OTIS-TTD-VLACS-050B Final Rpt., UMTA-IT-06-0156-79-3
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-70088
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM