VEHICLE LATERAL CONTROL AND SWITCHING. VOLUME I. PROJECT SUMMARY
This report is one volume of a six-volume final report of the Vehicle Lateral Control and Switching (VLACS) Project sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration of the Department of Transportation. Volume I, this report, summarizes the results and significant findings of the project. The project objectives are to investigate and improve the steering and switching capabilities of automated transit vehicles through analysis, simulation, and test of lateral control of switching systems and to develop guidelines for the development of these systems. Three types of steering systems are investigated: (1) wire-follower power-assisted steering; (2) wall-follower power-assisted steering; and (3) passive wall-follower steering. The significant findings and major conclusions from each project task are included in this report. Also summarized and included in this report are the contents of the final project reports which describe the hardware studies, the design and simulation activities, the test program, and the data base report. Recommendations for future related studies are presented.
- See also Volume 2, Part A, PB80-199730, and report dated Apr 78, PB-286 551. Also available in set of 7 reports PC E99, PB80-199714.
Otis Elevator CompanyTransportation Technology Division, 11380 Smith Road
Denver, CO USA 80010
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Tech Development & Deployment, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Haines, G
- FRY, M
- Mayer, F
- Peckham, G
- Publication Date: 1980-3
- Pagination: 143 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated guideway transit; Automatic control; Guideways; Mathematical models; Rapid transit; Simulation; Steering; Structural design; Switching; Urban transportation; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experimental design; Switches
- Old TRIS Terms: Guideway design; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00318457
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: OTIS-TTD-VLACS-049 Final Rpt., UMTA-IT-06-0156-79-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-70088
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 1982 12:00AM