ACCIDENT AVOIDANCE CAPABILITIES OF MOPEDS. VOLUME II: TECHNICAL REPORT
Moped response, performance, and accident avoidance capabilities are assessed. Moped design features are reviewed. Four instrumented vehicles were evaluated. Full scale tests included steady turn, lane change, free control stability, roadway disturbances, open and closed loop braking, acceleration/top speed, and hill climb. Two wheeler test procedures and measures are presented, along with subjective evaluations. Sensitivity to operating variables are quantified. Potential safety-related handling problems were identified. A typical moped was modified for increased speed performance, and upgraded brake and tire components.
- See also Volume 1, PB80-186651.
Systems Technology, Incorporated13766 South Hawthorne Boulevard
Hawthorne, CA USA 90250
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Zellner, J W
- WEIR, D H
- Publication Date: 1980-2
- Pagination: 312 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceleration (Mechanics); Brakes; Braking; Control; Design; Dynamic loads; Handling characteristics; Mopeds; Performance; Performance tests; Safety; Stability (Mechanics); Tires; Vehicle design; Vehicle performance; Vehicle safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Accident avoidance; Dynamic response; Handling
- Old TRIS Terms: Acceleration physics; Vehicular safety
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00318433
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: STI-TR-1113-1-II Final Rpt., DOT-HS-805-331
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-01719
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 1981 12:00AM