U. S. TRANSIT TRACK ASSESSMENT AND RESEARCH NEEDS
The overall objective of the study is to help expand and systematize the current search for improvements in transit track. The study was initiated to identify new technology and research tasks that may help increase the performance, reliability, and safety of urban rapid transit systems, and to help ensure that track research provides maximum benefits to the transit industry. Track problems and practices were investigated at transit properties in the United States, and technology was studied in the transit industry and other industries in the United States and Europe. Throughout the study, information was sought on the best technological practices currently available and on improvements that may be obtained through systematic research. This report describes track conditions; current practice in track design, construction, maintenance, and inspection; potential opportunities for improvements; favorable technology that is available but not commonly used in transit track systems; and research and support tasks to fill identified needs. The report also describes the evaluation of research and support tasks for relative importance, the analysis of their costs and benefits, and a recommended implementation plan for a track research program.
- Record URL:
- Prepared in cooperation with London Transport International Ltd. (England).
ENSCO, IncorporatedTransportation and Instrumentation Sciences
Alexandria, VA United States 22303
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Cunney, E G
- BOYD, P L
- Woods, J A
- Publication Date: 1979-12
- Pagination: 211 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Construction; Inspection; Maintenance; Maintenance of way; Railroad ties; Railroad tracks; Rapid transit; Research projects; Structural design; Technology; Technology assessment
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ballast; Research programs; Track design
- Geographic Terms: Europe
- Old TRIS Terms: Rapid transportation; Track inspection; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Construction; Maintenance and Preservation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00318423
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-79-41 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1502
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 1981 12:00AM