DEVELOPMENT OF CAR/TRAILER HANDLING AND BRAKING STANDARDS. VOLUME IV: TECHNICAL REPORT FOR PHASE II - FRONT WHEEL DRIVE TOW CARS
This report verifies the handling and braking performance requirements proposed in Vol. II for passenger cars towing trailers. This includes straight line braking, trailer swing stability, tow car steady turn stability, and combined brake-in-turn stability. Over 500 combinations vehicle tests with three trailers and two front wheel drive tow cars (in 34 different configurations), plus the results of previous trailer towing research have been integrated into proposed performance criteria, and a compliance format based on tow car and trailer characteristics. For straight line braking performance a combination-vehicle (CV) deceleration criteria of 0.4g is recommended. A tow car weight requirement based on trailer brake capability is presented to insure the CV will meet this deceleration requirement. For unbraked trailers the tow car gross weight rating should never be less than 1.5 times the trailer weight. For trailer swing stability the safety-related performance measure is damping ratio, or the equivalent cycles to one-half amplitude. A minimum damping ratio of 0.15 (or 3/4 cycles to 1/2 amplitude) is recommended. Test procedures and analysis curves are presented which can be used to determine damping ratio for each trailer.
- See also Volume 3, PB80-196637. Also available in set of 4 reports PC E12, PB80-196603.
Systems Technology, Incorporated13766 South Hawthorne Boulevard
Hawthorne, CA USA 90250
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Klein, R H
- Szostak, H T
- Publication Date: 1979-11
- Pagination: 109 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Brakes; Braking; Damping (Physics); Deceleration; Dynamic braking; Front wheel drive; Handling characteristics; Passenger vehicles; Performance tests; Stability (Mechanics); Standards; Steering; Towed vehicles; Towing devices; Towing vehicles; Trailers; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Handling
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I95: Vehicle Inspection;
- Accession Number: 00318421
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: STI-TR-1114-1-VOL-4 Final Rpt., DOT-HS-805-329
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-01720
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 2002 12:00AM