DEVELOPMENT OF CAR/TRAILER HANDLING AND BRAKING STANDARDS. VOLUME II: TECHNICAL REPORT FOR PHASE I - REAR WHEEL DRIVE TOW CARS
This report identifies suitable handling and braking performance requirements for rear-wheel drive passenger cars towing trailers. This includes straight line braking, trailer swing stability, tow car steady turn stability, and combined brake-in-turn stability. Over 2000 combination-vehicle tests with eight trailers and three tow cars (in over 250 different configurations), plus the results of previous trailer towing research were then used to validate and/or revise the criteria and procedures. For straight line braking performance a combination-vehicle deceleration criterion of 0.4 g is recommended. A tow car weight requirement based on trailer brake capability is presented to insure the combination vehicle will meet the deceleration requirement. For trailer swing stability the safety-related performance measure is damping ratio, or the equivalent cycles to one-half amplitude. A minimum damping ratio of 0.15 (or 3/4 cycles to 1/2 amplitude) is recommended. Test procedures and analysis curves are presented which can be used to determine damping ratios for each trailer. In this case a minimum hitch load criterion based on tow car weight is suggested to insure performance compliance. For tow car stability a tentative performance criterion of maintaining a positive tow car understeer gradient up to and including 0.3 g cornering is recommended.
- See also Volume 1, PB80-196611 and Volume 3, PB80-196637. Also available in set of 4 reports PC E12, PB80-196603.
Systems Technology, Incorporated13766 South Hawthorne Boulevard
Hawthorne, CA USA 90250
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Klein, R H
- Szostak, H T
- Publication Date: 1979-11
- Pagination: 150 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Brakes; Braking; Damping (Physics); Deceleration; Dynamic braking; Handling characteristics; Passenger vehicles; Performance tests; Stability (Mechanics); Standards; Steering; Towed vehicles; Towing devices; Towing vehicles; Trailers; Vehicle safety; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Handling
- Old TRIS Terms: Vehicular safety
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I95: Vehicle Inspection;
- Accession Number: 00318419
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: STI-TR-1114-1-VOL-2, DOT-HS-805-327
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-01720
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 2002 12:00AM