DEVELOPMENT OF CAR/TRAILER HANDLING AND BRAKING STANDARDS. VOLUME I: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
This report summarizes the development of handling and braking performance requirements for passenger cars towing trailers. These requirements are based on the results of over 2000 combination-vehicle tests with eight trailers and three rear wheel drive tow cars (in 95 different configurations), over 500 tests with three trailers and two front wheel drive tow cars (in 38 different configurations), plus the results of previous trailer towing research. The proposed standards include recommendations for straight line braking performance, trailer swing stability, tow car steady turn stability, and combined brake in turn stability and performance. For straight line braking, the recommended performance criterion is 0.4 g deceleration of the combination-vehicle. A tow car weight based on trailer brake capability requirement is presented to insure that the combination-vehicle will meet this deceleration requirement. For trailer swing stability the safety-related performance measure is damping ratio, or the equivalent cycles to one-half amplitude. A minimum damping ratio of 0.15 (or 3/4 cycles to one-half amplitude) has been recommended.
- See also Volume 2, PB80-196629. Also available in set of 4 reports PC E12, PB80-196603.
Systems Technology, Incorporated13766 South Hawthorne Boulevard
Hawthorne, CA United States 90250
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Klein, R H
- Szostak, H T
- Publication Date: 1979-11
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Brakes; Braking; Damping (Physics); Deceleration; Dynamic braking; Handling characteristics; Passenger vehicles; Performance tests; Stability (Mechanics); Standards; Steering; Towed vehicles; Towing devices; Towing vehicles; Trailers; Vehicle safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Handling
- Old TRIS Terms: Parasites; Vehicular safety
- Subject Areas: Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I95: Vehicle Inspection;
- Accession Number: 00318418
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: STI-TR-1114-1-Vol-1, DOT-HS-805-326
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-01720
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 2002 12:00AM