COST EVALUATION FOR NINE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE STANDARDS. VOLUME IV: FMVSS 202 (HEAD RESTRAINTS) AND 207 (SEATING SYSTEMS)
A program was conducted to determine the consumer cost and weight variance due to the implementation of FMVSS 202 and FMVSS 207. Several 1969 vehicle seats were purchased for the purpose of obtaining adjustable headrests, integral headrests, and seat locks. The standard tear-down cost estimating procedure was used to develop variable cost. The Macro-Analysis Factor was used to develop wholesale and consumer cost for each specimen. A volume weighted average of weight and consumer cost was developed for the integral and adjustable headrests. These weighted averages were applied to the 1979 industry vehicle mix. The implementation of FMVSS 202 resulted in a consumer cost of $17.68 and an increase in weight of 9.15 per vehicle. Several lock specimens were examined, cost estimate made, data extended by using the Macro-Analysis Method and average cost of implementation FMVSS 207 was a consumer cost of $6.81 and an increase in weight of 2.69 pounds. This standard only applies to vehicles with hinge front seats. No additional reinforcement appeared under the area of the seat attachments.
- See also Volume 3, PB80-196223 and Volume 5, PB80-196249. Also available in set of 6 reports PC E15, PB80-196199.
De Lorean Motor Company280 Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10010
Washington, DC United States 20590
- HARVEY, M R
- LESCZHIK, J A
- McLean, R F
- Publication Date: 1979-11
- Pagination: 84 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Components; Consumer protection; Consumers; Cost estimating; Costs; Estimates; Federal assistance programs; Federal government; Headrests; Implementation; Motor vehicles; Passenger vehicles; Safety equipment; Seats; Standards; Statistical analysis; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Federal programs
- Old TRIS Terms: Weight mass
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Finance; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00318411
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-805-318
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-8-02015
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 2002 12:00AM