COST EVALUATION FOR NINE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE STANDARDS. VOLUME I: FMVSS 105 (HYDRAULIC BRAKE SYSTEMS ON PASSENGER CARS)
A program was conducted to develop the consumer cost and weight variance resulting in the implementation of FMVSS 105 in the 1968 and 1976 passenger vehicles. An Integrated Cost Sampling Plan was developed that provided for the selection of specimen vehicles from the four classes of vehicles. Total brake systems were purchased for 1966 vehicles and were considered the baseline systems. Cost and weight differential between 1966 and 1968 models was the result of the first implementation. The cost and weight difference between the 1968 and 1976 models was the result of the second implementation. Automotive industry type teardown and manufacturing cost estimating techniques were applied and developed cost and weight data for the implementation analysis. The consumer cost per vehicle for the 1968 implementation was $11.80 and a weight increase of 15.83 pounds. The 1976 implementation consumer cost was $10.57 with an increase of 25.94 pounds.
- See also Volume 2, PB80-196215. Also available in set of 6 reports PC E15, PB80-196199.
De Lorean Motor Company280 Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10010
Washington, DC USA 20590
- HARVEY, M R
- LESCZHIK, J A
- McLean, R F
- Publication Date: 1979-11
- Pagination: 303 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Automobiles; Brakes; Components; Consumer protection; Consumers; Cost estimating; Costs; Estimates; Federal assistance programs; Federal government; Hydraulic brakes; Implementation; Motor vehicles; Passenger vehicles; Safety engineering; Safety equipment; Standards; Statistical analysis; Weight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Federal programs
- Old TRIS Terms: Weight mass
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Finance; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00318408
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-805-315
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-8-02015
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 8 2002 12:00AM