DETONATION-FLAME ARRESTER DEVICES FOR GASOLINE CARGO VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEMS
An experimental program was carried out to (1) develop empirical data on the deflagration-to-detonation run-up distance for flowing mixtures of gasoline and air in 15.2-centimeters- (6.0-inches-) diameter piping simulating a vapor recovery system, and (2) evaluate the quenching capability of eight selected flame control devices subjected to repeated stable detonations. The deflagration-to-detonation run-up distance was found to be 11.2 m (36.7 ft), or a length-to-diameter ratio of 74. The relative roughness of the run-up length of piping was 0,010 to 0.015. The stable detonation downstream of the transition point has a velocity of 1800 m/s (5906 ft/s) with a stable peak pressure of 1900 kn/m2 to the 2nd power (275 psia). There appeared to be no discernable correlation between the initial flow velocity used in testing and the resulting run-up distance. Detonations were obtained only at equivalence ratios greater than 0.8; however, there was no correlation between equivalence ratio and run-up distance for equivalence ratios ranging from 0.9 to 1.4. The successful detonation-flame arresters were: (1) sprial-wound, crimped aluminum ribbon, (2) foamed nickel-chrome metal, (3) vertically packed bed of aluminum Ballast rings, and (4) water-trap or hydraulic back-pressure valve.
- Availability: Microfiche copies only.
Jet Propulsion LaboratoryCalifornia Institute of Technology, 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA USA 91103
United States Coast Guard2100 Second Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20593
- Bjorklund, R A
- Ryason, P R
- Publication Date: 1980-3
- Pagination: 227 p.
- TRT Terms: Air; Air quality management; Detonation; Equipment; Fire extinguishing agents; Fires; Gasoline; Vapors
- Uncontrolled Terms: Deflagration
- Old TRIS Terms: Air pollution control devices; Flame arresters
- Subject Areas: Materials;
- Accession Number: 00318398
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: JPL-PUB-80-18, USCG-D-29-80
- Contract Numbers: MIPR-Z-70099-7-74328
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 2002 12:00AM