COLORADO COAL RESERVES DEPLETION DATA AND COAL MINE SUMMARIES. FINAL REPORT

Coal mining began in Colorado in the early 1860's. Since then, the 1667 mines located by the authors have produced a total of 598,824,876 short tons of coal to January 1, 1977. This activity has depleted the reserve base of Colorado by 1,160,752,484 short tons. Most of the coal produced to date has been mined from beds ranging from 4-10 ft in thickness. Using original reserve base estimates calculated by the US Department of Energy (Matson, 1979), 6.67 percent of the State's demonstrated coal reserve base has been produced or lost in the process of mining. This leaves 93.33 percent of the original reserve base intact. Estimates of the remaining demonstrated coal reserve base for each coal-bearing region are given. During the two-year period, 1977-1978, the main producing region, the Green River, produced 15,405,488 short tons, or 58.62 percent of total two-year Statewide production of 26,279,491 tons. This high figure is the result of large surface mining operations in the area. Coal has been produced from all of the coal-bearing regions in Colorado. This report is an attempt to determine how much coal has been mined or otherwise rendered unavailable to mining and from what coal zones this production has been obtained. The data presented are preliminary in nature; however, this report does represent a concise summary of certain aspects of the coal mining history of Colorado. The authors hope that this project will result in more efficient future development and production of coal in this State. (ERA citation 05:014730)

  • Corporate Authors:

    Colorado Geological Survey

    1313 Sherman Street
    Denver, CO  United States  80203

    Department of Energy

    1000 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC  United States  20585
  • Authors:
    • Boreck, D L
    • Murray, D K
  • Publication Date: 1979-5

Media Info

  • Pagination: 80 p.

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00318379
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
  • Contract Numbers: EI-78-F-01-6229-MOO
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Sep 16 1980 12:00AM