CONCEPTUAL DESIGN STUDY OF AN IMPROVED AUTOMOTIVE GAS TURBINE POWERTRAIN. VOLUME 3
Automotive gas turbine concepts with significant technological advantages over the spark ignition (SI) engine were assessed. Possible design concepts were rated with respect to fuel economy and near-term application. A program plan which outlines the development of the improved gas turbine (IGT) concept that best met the goals and objectives of the study identifies the research and development work needed to meet the goal of entering a production engineering phase by 1983. The fuel economy goal is to show at least a 20% improvement over a conventional 1976 SI engine/vehicle system. On the basis of achieving the fuel economy goal, of overall suitability to mechanical design, and of automotive mass production cost, the powertrain selected was a single-shaft engine with a radial turbine and a continuously variable transmission (CVT). Design turbine inlet temperature was 1150 C. Reflecting near-term technology, the turbine rotor would be made of an advanced superalloy, and the transmission would be a hydromechanical CVT. With successful progress in long-lead R&D in ceramic technology and the belt-drive CVT, the turbine inlet temperature would be 1350 C to achieve near-maximum fuel economy.
- Volume 1 is HS-030 616.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration600 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC USA 20546
- Publication Date: 1979-6
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 196 p.
- TRT Terms: Alloys; Blades (Machinery); Ceramic materials; Continuously variable transmissions; Cost effectiveness; Costs; Development; Energy conservation; Engines; Fuel consumption; Gas turbines; Heat resistant materials; Hydromechanics; Research; Technology; Transmissions; Turbine engines; Vehicle design; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines; Engine design; Heat resistant alloys
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Environment; Finance; Highways; Research; Vehicles and Equipment; I96: Vehicle Operating Costs;
- Accession Number: 00318297
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-CR-159672 Final Rpt., HS-030 652, DOE/NASA/2749-79/3V3
- Contract Numbers: DE-AC02-76CS-52749, EC-77-A-31-1040
- Files: HSL, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1983 12:00AM