BALD EAGLE CREEK AND LITTLE JUNIATA RIVER CHANNEL IMPROVEMENT PROJECT; HYDRAULIC MODEL INVESTIGATION
Tests were conducted on a 1:25-scale model Bald Eagle Creek and the Little Juniata River to determine the adequacy of proposed channel improvements included in the Tyrone Flood Control Project. The model reproduced approximately 5,340 ft of Bald Eagle Creek which consisted of Westvaco Dam, the transition immediately downstream, the high-velocity channel with superelevated curves, the stilling basin, and approximately 800 ft of the Little Juniata River including its confluence with Bald Eagle Creek. Unsymmetrical approach conditions upstream of Westvaco Dam resulted in unequal flow distribution across the dam. This caused cross waves to develop in the transition section downstream of Westvaco Dam. Modification of the left slope of the existing topography and placement of a curved wing wall on the right abutment of the dam improved the flow distribution across the dam and reduced the cross waves in the transition section immediately downstream. Extension of the right vertical wall of the transition 290 ft upstream with the slope modification in place also improved the flow structures.
- Symposium on Automotive Propulsion Systems, Dearborn, MI,
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS USA 39180-6199
- George, J F
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Pagination: 92 p.
- TRT Terms: Banks (Waterways); Channels (Waterways); Dams; Flood protection; Flow; Hydraulic structures; Improvements; Levees; Rivers; Streamflow; Walls; Water; Waves
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hydraulic models; Model tests; Modifications
- Geographic Terms: Pennsylvania
- Old TRIS Terms: River channel improvements
- Subject Areas: Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment; I96: Vehicle Operating Costs;
- Accession Number: 00318240
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WES/TR/HL-80-5 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1981 12:00AM