EVACUATION AND RESCUE IN AUTOMATED GUIDEWAY TRANSIT. VOLUME II: GUIDEBOOK
The objective of one segment of the AGTT program, the Systems Safety and Passenger Security (SS&PS) Study, is the development of guidelines for the assurance of actual and perceived passenger safety and security in AGT systems. The evacuation and rescue task of the project has as its objective the production of a guidebook detailing the most effective methods and procedures for providing evacuation and rescue in AGT systems. In conventional transportation systems, transportation personnel can help to evacuate and rescue passengers. AGT systems, however, because of their unmanned nature and unique configurations, present a number of problems related to evacuation and rescue. Operation of AGT systems with elevated guideways also present significant problms. Serious injuries and loss of life can result from situations in which inadequate means of evacuating and rescuing passengers exist. The purpose of this portion of the SS&PS program was to identify these problems and where possible, recommend solutions. This Guidebook is Volume II of the final report on evacuation and rescue in AGT and provides guidelines and other information relative to evacuation and rescue of passengers from AGT systems. The report addresses a description of the problems and solutions as they exist on conventional and AGT systems, a discussion of the types of planning that are required to produce satisfactory evacuation and rescue solutions, and recommendations of suitable methods and procedures for AGT evacuation and rescue.
- Record URL:
- See also Volume 1, PB80-195761.
Vought CorporationSystems Division, P.O. Box 5907
Dallas, TX United States 75222
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Tech Development & Deployment, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Benjamin, D E
- Publication Date: 1979-12
- Pagination: 97 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated guideway transit; Disasters and emergency operations; Elevated guideways; Emergency exits; Evacuation; Guidelines; Handbooks; Passengers; Rapid transit; Safety; Search and rescue operations; Transportation safety; Urban transportation; Vehicle design; Vehicle occupant rescue
- Uncontrolled Terms: Emergency procedures; Passenger safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Evacuating transportation; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Design; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00318180
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-79-47IIFinal Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1314
- Files: NTIS, NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1982 12:00AM