DISCRETE ADDRESS BEACON SYSTEM (DABS) BASELINE TEST AND EVALUATION
Tests and evaluation (T&E) were conducted principally to determine baseline performance characteristics of the Discrete Address Beacon System (DABS) sensor employing the software and associated parameter values as delivered by Texas Instruments (TI), Incorporated in June 1979. A secondary objective was to highlight those areas where changes in system parameters, made necessary by the maturing of the DABS/Automatic Traffic Advisory and Resolution Service (ATARS) system concept, would require further study and test prior to issuance of the Technical Data Package (TDP). Simulation techniques, targets of opportunity, and DABS transponder-equipped aircraft were used. The DABS sensor test program was accomplished with an Air Traffic Control Radar Beacon System (ATCRBS) 5-foot antenna having a 2.4 deg beam width, and the DABS sensor transmitter power output and effective beam width values as delivered by the contractor. Data reduction and analysis tools developed by the National Aviation Facilities Experimental Center (NAFEC) were used to determine sensor performance characteristics and to highlight areas for further analysis. It was concluded that, with few exceptions, the DABS engineering model in the implementation tested performed in compliance with or exceeded the requirements as defined in the DABS Engineering Requirements (FAA-ER-240-26). Those exceptions are discussed in the body of the report along with recommendations for further activities.
- Availability: Microfiche copies only.
NATIONAL AVIATION FACILITIES EXPERIMENTAL CENTERATLANTIC CITY, NJ United States
Federal Aviation Administration800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20591
- Holtz, M
- Swanseen, W
- Karlin, M
- Spadea, R
- Fisher, D
- Publication Date: 1980-4
- Pagination: 140 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Base lines; Data communications; Detectors; Mathematical models; Mode S; Radar antennas; Radar beacons; Radar beams; Simulation; Surveillance; Test procedures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Data links; Models; Parameters
- Old TRIS Terms: Discrete address beacon systems
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00318158
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-NA-79-52, FAA-RD-80-36, Interim Report
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 2002 12:00AM