DOCUMENTARY OF TRANSPORTATION AND HANDLING SYSTEMS. OPERATION BREAKTHROUGH. VOLUME 3
A general record is presented of the transportation, handling, storage, and erection systems employed by each of the producers participating in Operation Breakthrough (OB), the HUD - sponsored program designed to improve the quality and availability of housing in the United States. Certain methods are described that appear to offer opportunities in reducing overall logistics and construction costs while fully protecting the finished housing module, panel, or component from damage. In addition, improvements in specific transportation techniques are highlighted, in terms of highway and rail transportation standards, procedures, or equipment, that have resulted directly from the OB experience. A description of the housing systems is provided, as well as a discussion of structural modifications. In addition, packaging, storage, and plant handling techniques are described. Special problems associated with highway and railway transportation are emphasized. Evidence indicates that railway shipping in certain situations can overcome distance / cost barriers, with many past failures attributable to lack of skill in handling. Finally, the lifting of frames and site erection are discussed. Photographs, illustrations, and charts are included.
- Prepared in cooperation with National Bureau of Standards, Washington, DC.
Department of Housing and Urban DevelopmentAssistant Secretary for Policy Development & Research
Washington, DC USA 20410
National Bureau of Standards14th Between E Street and Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20234
- Publication Date: 1974-8
- Pagination: 170 p.
- TRT Terms: City planning; Competition; Construction; Construction management; Costs; Dwellings; Freight transportation; Housing; Housings; Management; Physical distribution; Planning; Supply; Transportation modes; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Supply management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Construction; Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00318058
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: HUD-0000331
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 22 1980 12:00AM