WHEELSETS WITH ASSEMBLED AXLEBOXES: DESIGN, MAINTENANCE AND STANDARDISATION. REPORT NO. 11--CALCULATION OF WAGON AND COACH AXLES
Commencing from the axle calculation methods used by the different Railway Administrations (or by axle manufacturers) represented on the B 136 Specialists Committee and the measurements made during line tests, the report proposes vertical and lateral forces to be allowed for in the calculation of wagon and axles. The coach incidence of the forces introduced by braking (on the wheel or with axle mounted discs) has also been examined. Taking the experience of some major Administrations as a basis (experimental studies and service results) the report also proposes some recommendations on the subject of geometric forms to be adopted for the different constituent parts of an axle (relative dimensions and transitions between sections of different diameter) and the preferred surface conditions on the different parts. Finally, the values of permissible stresses to be taken into account at various sections of an axle and a simplified calculation sheet are given.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1979-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 49 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Axles; Freight cars; Passenger cars; Railroad cars; Stresses; Structural analysis; Vehicle components; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Performance analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Question b136
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053369
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: B 136/RP 11
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1980 12:00AM