TRANSPORTATION AIR QUALITY ANALYSIS - SKETCH PLANNING METHODS. VOLUME I: ANALYSIS METHODS
Analytical methodologies are described (in Volume I) and illustrated (in Volume II) for use by metropolitan planning organizations and other state and local transportation agencies in analyzing the air quality potential of candidate urban transportation measures. As sketch planning techniques, the methods are designed to produce first-cut estimates of a proposed transportation measure's impact for a relatively small investment of time and effort. Quantitative methods oriented to auto restricted zones, high occupancy vehicle priorities, transit improvements, parking programs, carpool/vanpool incentives, and staggered work hours are provided. The methods use worksheet, programmable calculator, and computerized approaches to apply disaggregate behavioral models. They can be used to predict traveller demand as a function of transportation system characteristics, transportation facility operations as a function of their usage and their physical characteristics, and special impacts including vehicular emissions, fuel consumption, and operating costs. Guidelines are provided both to those responsible for designing the transportation-air quality analysis approaches in specific local areas, and to those who will carry out these analyses. In addition, references are provided to documents which provide additional detail on the methods.
Cambridge Systematics, Incorporated100 Cambridge Park Drive, Suite 400
Cambridge, MA USA 02140
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Transportation & Land Use Policy, 401 M Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20460
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1979-12
- Pagination: 284 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Carpools; City planning; Energy conservation; Environmental impacts; Estimates; Exhaust gases; Fuel consumption; Guidelines; Highways; Local government; Management; Mathematical models; Operating costs; Public transit; State government; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Urban transportation; Vanpools
- Uncontrolled Terms: Systems management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Environment; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00317934
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA-400/1-80-001A Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-01-4977
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 22 1980 12:00AM