SOME THOUGHTS ON MAIN PROPULSION MARINE DIESEL ENGINES AND THEIR APPLICATION
The Author (of the Fairbanks Morse Engine Division, Colt Industries) surveys the progress of Diesel propulsion engines, with particular reference to the numbers in use, in the U.S.A. and in Europe, at present and during the past few decades. No particular makes of engine are mentioned, but statistics are given for the different types of engine, categorised according to their crankshaft speed, as well as for Diesel propulsion engines in general; some comparative figures for steam plant are included. Much of the statistical information is bsaed on data published in Motor Ship at intervals over the years. The paper, which includes some discussion on technical developments in Diesel engines, is arranged in the following sections:--1. Province of Marine Diesel Main Propulsion Plants; 2. World-Wide Statistical Data on Power Plants for Vessels over 2,000 Dwt; 3. Classification of Engines by Crankshaft Speed or Other Criteria of Speed; 4. Other Classification Modes; 5. Evolution of the Diesel in Europe as Contrasted with its Evolution in the United States; 6. Engine Room Arrangements; 7. "Equivalent" All-Purpose Fuel Rates for Economic Comparison with Steam Ships; 8. Approximations of Characteristics of Blended Fuels for Use in Marine Propulsion Diesels; 9. Bibliography.
- Paper presented to the San Diego Section of SNAME, 20-22 April 1979.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Jacobs, R E
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Crankshafts; Diesel engines; Diesel fuels; Economic analysis; Electric power plants; Layout; Machinery; Propulsion; Vehicle power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Competitive propulsion systems; Diesel propulsion; Machinery layout; Power plant analysis
- Subject Areas: Economics; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00317470
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM