ENERGY INTENSITY OF INTERCITY PASSENGER RAIL
This research report deals with the Energy Intensity of Intercity Rail Passenger Systems. Included in the energy evaluation are the impacts of operating conditions (speed, load factor) and train consists. The report also documents an extensive list of data used for evaluation purposes. Impact of track on energy intensity is also documented. Several trains are simulated along the New York City-to-Buffalo Corridor. Increases in energy efficiency due to modernization of rolling stock and improvements of track and service conditions are also analyzed to insure equitable comparison among the competitive modes. The study concludes that: presently the energy-intensity figures are high because the load factor is low; there is a considerable potential for improving values by improving the attractiveness (reduced trip time) of the trains and also by using contemporary rolling stock. It is also concluded that presently, because of the poor track conditions, the maximum potential of the trains (in terms of speed, etc.) cannot be realized. Improved track conditions will enhance block speed which would results in increased rail patronage (consequently, higher load factor) and reduced energy intensity. Electric trains were also studied (along NYC to Washington, D.C.) and are quite favorable from an energy-intensity viewpoint. The study provides guidelines for energy conservation, will serve the railroad industry, and has a potential for nationwide application.
- Record URL:
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Mittal, R K
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 296 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric trains; Energy consumption; High speed rail; Intercity transportation; Passenger trains; Passenger transportation; Railroad tracks; Ridership; Standards
- Geographic Terms: New York (State); Northeast Corridor; Northeastern United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Energy intensiveness; Track standards
- Subject Areas: Energy; Passenger Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00317449
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPD/DPB-50-78/7Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 16 1980 12:00AM