MODEL OF MODAL CHOICE BASED ON RATES, TIME, AND DEPENDABILITY
Two approaches have been used in the past to determine choice of mode or route to transport commodities, namely: management science and market share; transportation specialists are more familiar with the first of these. This paper, however, concentrates on the second, and a system for putting the market-share approach into operation is discussed and illustrated. The system has three components: (1) a technique of data collection requiring a transportation decision maker to consider trade-offs among desirable service criteria; (2) a computational method which quantifies preferences for service levels by accounting as nearly as possible for each decision-maker's choice behavior; and (3) a model which determines route-split according to the relative favorableness of several competing transportation alternatives. Perrault and Russ (Int. J. of Physical Distribution, 7: No. 3, 117-127) discuss new developments in the behavioral sciences for inferring partworths (preferences for service levels inferred from trade-off data), which relates to the second of the above components. This paper builds on their work and also focuses on data collection (the first component) and the subsequent use of partworths to estimate route split (the third component).
- From Joint National Meeting of the Institute of Management Sciences and the Operations Research Society of America, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 30, 1979.
Temple UniversityDepartment of Marketing
Philadelphia, PA United States 19122
Du Pont de Nemoups (EI) and Company, IncorporatedWilmington, DE United States 19898
- WILEY, J
- Colberg, R
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight transportation; Mathematical models; Modal split; Quality of service; Rate making; Traffic managers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Shippers
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00317441
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Energy Research Abstracts
- Contract Numbers: EY-76-S-02-4136
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1980 12:00AM