AN ASSESSMENT OF THE BAY AREA RAPID TRANSIT (BART) IMPACT PROGRAM
This report is a brief summary of assessment of the BART Impact Program conducted by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission of the San Francisco Bay Area. Two federal agencies funded the Impact Program, started in 1972 to collect and analyze information about effects of this large public-works project so that the effects of Bay Area Rapid Transit could be understood and dealt with in its own region and so that other areas planning and operating rapid transit systems might benefit. The principal contributions of this study of effects of a major new rapid transit system on a major metropolitan area can be found in its development and analysis of information about environmental effects, the effects on transportation and travel behavior, and the high costs of operating BART. Least successful elements dealt with effects of BART on land use, urban development and the local economy which are all long-term effects not sensitive to short-term study. The BART Impact Program demonstrates the importance of conducting impact studies of the effects of various transportation projects during implementation and suggest a method financing such investigations.
National Academy of Sciences-Natl Research CouncilBART Impact Program Advisory Committee
Washington, DC United States 20418
- Publication Date: 1980
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 175 p.
- TRT Terms: Data analysis; Data collection; Environmental impacts; Government funding; Impact studies; Land use; Mathematical analysis; Metropolitan areas; Operating costs; Passengers; Rapid transit; Socioeconomic factors; Time duration; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Urban development; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District
- Uncontrolled Terms: Long term; Short term
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Finance; Highways; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00317414
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 16 1982 12:00AM