THE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF TRANSPORT IN THE WEST MIDLANDS METROPOLITAN COUNTY. VOL II - A METHOD OF ASSESSMENT
This, the second of two reports, suggests an appropriate assessment technique to form part of the West Midlands County Council structure plan review. The technique evolved is based on "pairwise comparisons" in which the options are compared two at a time until a preference is reached. The background leading to the choice of this technique is given. It stays within the limits of what is theoretically acceptable, and by using pairwise comparisons, no more than ordinal properties are assumed for the available data. A limited definition of the environment, based on two simple indicators (noise and traffic volume), is used on the majority of the network. A much wider appreciation of the environment can be used by concentrating on those links displaying the most significant differences between options. Special characteristics of the people or their surroundings can be incorporated. Although the method is designed for assessing final options, it can be useful for plan generation or the development of new options based on those first tested. It will also identify problem links, and is simple enough to be easily understood by the public.
Aston University, EnglandGosta Green
Birmingham B4 7ET, England
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Environment; Environmental impacts; Evaluation and assessment; Highways; Impact studies; Sound level; Traffic; Traffic noise; Traffic volume; Urban areas
- ITRD Terms: 9020: Evaluation (assessment); 2755: Highway; 9112: Impact study; 6747: Sound level; 755: Traffic; 313: Urban area
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; I21: Planning of Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00316902
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 27 1980 12:00AM