WHEELSETS WITH ASSEMBLED AXLEBOXES: DESIGN, MAINTENANCE AND STANDARDISATION. CALCULATION OF WAGON AXLES
Commencing from the axle calculation methods used by different railway Administrations (or by axle manufacturers) and the measurements made during line tests, the report proposes vertical and lateral forces to be allowed for in the calculation of wagon-axles. The incidence of the forces introduced by braking (on the wheel or with axle mounted discs) has also been examined. Taking the experience of some major Administrations as a basis (experimental studies and service results) the report also proposes some recommendations on the subject of geometric forms to be adopted for the different constituent parts of an axle (relative dimensions and transitions between sections of different diameter) and the preferred surface conditions on the different parts. Finally, the values of permissible stresses to be taken into account at various sections of an axle and a simplified design sheet are given.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Axles; Journal boxes; Railroad cars; Standardization; Stresses; Structural analysis; Tests; Vehicle components; Vehicle design; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Performance analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle design; Axle journal stresses; Axle loadings; Car component design; Question b136
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053282
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B 136/RP 6
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1978 12:00AM