PERMISSIBLE MAXIMUM VALUES FOR THE Y- AND Q- FORCES AS WELL AS THE RATIO Y/Q. EFFECT OF THE SPACING OF CONSECUTIVE AXLES ON THE MAXIMUM PERMISSIBLE VALUE OF LATERAL LOAD FROM THE STANDPOINT OF TRACK DISPLACEMENT FIRST PART: TESTS WITH A TWO-AXLED WAGON
The report covers the study programme and the results of the first stage of the tests carried out with a view to determining the effect of the distance between consecutive axles on the maximum permissible value of the lateral load applied by a wheelset from the point of view of the danger of track displacement. This first stage related to static tests at low speed (6 - 80 km/h) with a two-axled wagon with a large wheelbase, only one of whose wheelsets applies a lateral load to a track which has been deconsolidated as a result of a levelling operation. The results obtained with such a vehicle and track suggest a limit as defined in the report of about (10 plus P/3) kN, P being the axleload.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1977-10
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Ballast (Railroads); Derailments; Gage (Rails); Overturning; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Stability (Mechanics); Stabilized materials; Tamping; Tests; Train track dynamics; Two axle cars; Wheel base
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral loads; Track stability
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Ballast stabilization; Gauge widening; Question c138; Rail overturning
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053274
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: C 138/RP 1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 29 1978 12:00AM