HAZARD EVALUATION OF CHEMICALS AND THE DERIVATION OF CRITERIA FOR DECIDING THE APPROPRIATE IMCO SHIP TYPE AND RELATED SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
The IMCO "Code for the Construction and Equipment of Ships carrying Dangerous Chemicals in Bulk' (hereinafter referred to as the Code) was developed to provide an agreed international standard for the safe carriage of dangerous chemicals in bulk. It prescribes constructional features of ships involved in such carriage, and the equipment they should carry with regard to the nature of the products transported. The basic philosophy is that the containment and operational requirements are relatd to the hazards of the various chemicals covered by the Code. Since the first edition of the Code in 1971, a good deal of experience has been gained in its use, and in the carriage in bulk of an increasingly wide range of liquid chemicals. In May 1976 the new IMCO Sub-Committee on Bulk Chemicals (BCH) met for the first time. When the original edition of the Code was published in 1971, the chemicals therein were assigned to Chapters VI and VII using as a basic guide the United States publication "Evaluation of the Hazards of Bulk Water Transportation of Industrial Chemicals", supplemented by other hazard rating systems. However the IMCO, BCH Sub-Committee agreed at its fourth session in May 1978 that, in accordance with its terms of reference noted above, criteria for this work should be developed and agreed internationally as a matter of priority. Within the United Kingdom, a group of interested parties representing government and the chemical and shipping industries has applied itself to the subject. The author has been closely associated with these discussions and has given considerable thought to the problems and parameters involved. Some observations and comments arising from this study, on the development of criteria for placing chemicals into Chapter VI and for assigning appropriate special requirements to them, are set out in this paper. In addition, a suggested set of such criteria is offered for comment in the annex.
- The Proceedings of MariChem 79: Papers presented at the Second International Conference on Marine Transportation, Handling and Storage of Bulk Chemicals, MariChem 79, together with verbatim discussion. Held in Monte Carlo, 6-8 March 1979.
Gastech Exhibitions Limited,
- Kent, B E
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: p. 41-51
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Chemical tankers; Chemicals; Chemicals; Classification; Detectors; Hazard evaluation; Hazardous chemicals; Health hazards; Tanks (Containers); Toxicity; Vapors
- Identifier Terms: International Maritime Consultative organization
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo tanks; Hazardous chemicals classification; Imco chemical carriers code; Tank inerting systems; Vapor detection
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00314744
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1980 12:00AM