PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS TO MARPOL 73 PROBLEMS
In 1973 the International Conference on Marine Pollution drafted rules to limit the intentional pollution of the sea by ships, mainly tankers. These rules will come into force one year after 15 countries, together representing at least 50% of world tonnage, have signed the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (briefly referred to as MARPOL 73). First of all, however, practical solutions for the operation and equipment of ships to comply with the regulations must be found and laid down in IMCO standards. In the Netherlands an extensive research programme has been carried out by Koninklijke/Shell Laboratorium, Amsterdam, sponsored by the Netherlands Maritime Institute. The main questions to be solved were: How can the amount of residue left in a tank be determined in a simple way? How should tanks be washed? How can slops be discharged to the sea in a controlled way? Results of the research work had to be available within a short time, in a practically acceptable form; proposed solutions had to follow existing practice as closely as possible and to be compatible with the educational level of chemical tanker crews. Last but not least, costs to both autorities and ship owners had to be minimal.
- The Proceedings of MariChem 79: Papers presented at the Second International Conference on Marine Transportation, Handling and Storage of Bulk Chemicals, MariChem 79, together with verbatim discussion. Held in Monte Carlo, 6-8 March 1979.
Gastech Exhibitions Limited,
- Schuurmans, HJA
- Schilder, JGM
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pagination: p. 13-21
- TRT Terms: Bulk carriers; Chemical tankers; Cleaning; Pollution control; Regulation; Regulations; Storage tanks; Tankers; Vessel operations; Water quality management
- Old TRIS Terms: Regulations (Water pollution); Slop tanks; Tank cleaning; Tanker discharging; Tanker pollution prevention; Water pollution prevention; Water pollution regulation
- Subject Areas: Environment; Law; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00314742
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 1980 12:00AM