WHEELSETS WITH ASSEMBLED AXLEBOXES: DESIGN, MAINTENANCE AND STANDARDISATION. CALCULATION OF AXLES, PART 1: FORCES AND MOMENTS TO BE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION; RECOMMENDED GEOMETRIC FORMS AND SURFACE CONDITIONS
Commencing from the axle calculation methods used by different railway administrations (or by axle manufacturers) and the measurements made during line tests, the report proposes vertical and lateral forces to be allowed for in the calculation of wagon-axles. The incidence of the forces introduced by braking (on the wheel or with axle mounted discs) has also been examined. In taking the experience of some major administrations as a basis (experimental studies and service results) the report also proposes some recommendations on the subject of geometric forms to be adopted for the different constituent parts of an axle (relative dimensions and transitions between sections of different diameter) and the preferred surface conditions on the different parts. The complete axle calculation method will form the subject of a comprehensive report which will include the recommendations of the present report.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1976-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Axles; Freight cars; Vehicle components; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Performance analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle design; Axle loadings; Question b136
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053230
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B136/RP3/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM