TESTS WITH AUTOMATIC COUPLERS: WORK CARRIED OUT BY THE SPECIALISTS COMMITTEE B51 FROM JANUARY 1974 TO DECEMBER 1975 AND STATE OF THE STUDIES AND TESTS MADE IN CONNECTION WITH THE INTRODUCTION OF THE AUTOMATIC COUPLER
The report gives information about the state of the work in connection with the introduction of the automatic coupler and the studies and tests carried out in this respect in the reporting period from January 1974 to December 1975. The following questions are discussed in particular: performance tests with automatic couplers of the basic type (UIC 1969e); studies and tests in connection with the design of a special version of the automatic coupler for passenger coaches and first design of such a coupler body; further studies to overcome the effect of longitudinal compressive forces in the train formation by using different variants of universal articulations; studies and tests concerned with the unrestricted use of passenger coaches in freight trains; studies with passenger coaches with automatic couplers, with mixed mechanical couplers and mixed airline connectors, with improved intermediate pieces for train ferry operations, with cross-beam and sliding cradle suspension as well as relating to the question of coupler stresses and wear properties in operation; studies concerned with the question of the use of the electro-pneumatic brake; acceptance tests with a) variants of the coupler body, b) exchange components; state of the work on UIC and joint UIC/OSJD leaflets.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1976-10
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 130 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceptance tests; Air brakes; Couplers; Design; Force; Tests; Wear
- Uncontrolled Terms: Electropneumatic brakes; Longitudinal forces
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic couplers; Automatic coupling; Question b51
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053229
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B51/RP18/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 13 1977 12:00AM