This Technical Document summarizes the tests made by Japanese National Railways, up to 1973, for the abatement of noise and vibrations on vehicles and railway structures on their Shinkansen high speed line. Having dealt with the different noise sources and the special characteristics of railway noise, the factors chiefly affecting the noise level are discussed. Finally, the measures adopted to reduce noise on vehicles and tracks are described, such as wheels provided with vibration damping, sound skirting on vehicles, different types of noise barrier construction, rails provided with vibration damping, ballast mats and covering of steel bridges.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 97 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Measurement; Noise; Noise barriers; Noise control; Noise sources; Sound level; Tests; Vibration
- Identifier Terms: Shinkansen
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise measurement
- Geographic Terms: Japan
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Question dt52
- Subject Areas: Environment; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053205
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: DT52/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM