APPLICATION OF THYRISTORS IN RAILWAY TECHNOLOGY: CONSEQUENCES AND REMEDIES. EFFECT OF THYRISTOR CONTROLLED MOTIVE POWER UNITS ON 25 KV, 50 HZ POWER SUPPLY INSTALLATIONS OF CSD
Measurements carried out by CSD of the current spectrum of an electric motive power unit, series SM 488.0, determination of the statistical current spectrum on the primary and secondary power supply lines of a railway sub-station with different load current values and measurement of the influence of capacitors installed at the railway sub-station on the harmonics spectrum were intended to provide a closer definition of the influence of the application of thyristor controlled motive power units on the power supply system for electric traction on CSD. It was found that the current spectrum of the motive power unit SM 488.0 generated by thyristor phase control of the bridges showed no abnormal influence of the individual harmonics. With uniquely defined electrical conditions (circular test track), attenuation of current harmonics up to 750 Hz by the power transformer at the sub-station did not exceed the 15% limit. At higher frequencies resonance phenomena were observed. An outline of the probable composition of harmonics in the current supplied by the sub-station to the section, on which the motive power vehicles were running under normal operating conditions, was obtained for the load current range. Installation of a capacitor at the sub-station causes the resonant frequency to fall. The frequency of this resonance effect does not depend on the location of the motive power unit in the supply section.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1976-4
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Capacitors; Electric locomotives; Electric power supply; Harmonics; Interference; Power spectra; Thyristors; Traffic signal phases
- Non-Preferred Terms: Power spectral density; Spectral density; Spectral energy distribution
- Identifier Terms: Ceske drahy
- Uncontrolled Terms: Phase angles
- Old TRIS Terms: Question a122; Thyristor control
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053199
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: A122/RP 21/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM