PROBLEMS OF INTERACTION OF VEHICLES AND TRACK. PERFORMANCE OF SMALL WHEELS NEGOTIATING OBTUSE CROSSINGS AND DIAMOND CROSSING WITH SLIPS
The problem performance of small wheels negotiating obtuse crossings and diamond crossings with slip as regards the safety of running can be considered according to three processes: the rectilinear path of the axle according to the direction of the gauge lines of the negotiated section; the rectilinear path of the axle according to a direction oblique relative to the gauge lines of the negotiated section; the curvilinear path resulting from a rectilinear direction oblique relating to the guiding lines of the negotiated section and having a translatory movement perpendicular to these gauge lines over the unguided length. The purpose of the following investigations, which are partly theoretical and partly experimental, is to investigate the influence of the angle of attack and that of the transverse force on the axle-boxes on the running performance of small wheels with different tyre profiles in crossings of various designs. The theoretical part is intended to clarify the general geometrical interrelations prevailing between wheelset and crossing and the experimental part, which confirms the calculated results, gives information on the influence of the transverse force on the value of slipping and the limit values to be adhered to in the contact between wheel flanges and crossings in order to ensure the safety against derailments.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1965-10
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamics; Rail (Railroads); Railroad grade crossings; Train track dynamics; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Question c9; Small diameter wheels
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053197
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: C9/RP 7/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM