COMPACTION AND MOISTURE CONTROL
The report describes the various roller types used in the compaction of subgrade and base course materials. It advises the suitability of each type for the compaction of different materials commonly encountered in road construction. Methods of moisture control during compaction in the field are presented. The principles of compaction are discussed. Tests to determine moisture content, dry density and soil strength are described and the relationship between these properties is discussed. A description is given of the use of a trickle feed system for the addition of water to material in a borrow pit or stockpile prior to compaction on the road or embankment. The typical layout of a trickle feed system used by the Main Roads Department of Western Australia is included. Experience with trickle feed systems has indicated that they have many advantages over the conventional practice of adding water by truck or water cart. These advantages include, improved control of moisture content, easier stockpiling, a reduction in dust, conservation of water and energy, added flexibility in resources allocation, a reduction of cartage losses and low capital cost (a). (TRRL)
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0869103539
- Australisn Road Research Board Regional Symposium, 17th, Perth, W.A. 1979.
ARRB Group Ltd.Vermont South, Victoria Australia
- Cocks, G C
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: p. 69-85
- Publication of: Australian Road Research Board
- Publisher: ARRB Group Ltd.
- ISSN: 0005-0164
- TRT Terms: Base course (Pavements); Compaction; Conferences; Dry density; Gravel pits; Moisture content; Rollers; Soil water; Soils; Strength of materials; Subgrade (Pavements); Waterproofing
- Old TRIS Terms: Dry density (Soils); Subgrade moisture
- ITRD Terms: 2990: Basecourse; 3686: Compaction; 8525: Conference; 5908: Density; 5115: Gravel pit; 5920: Moisture content; 3684: Roller; 5755: Soil mechanics; 5544: Strength (mater); 2950: Subgrade
- Subject Areas: Construction; Geotechnology; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment; I52: Construction of Pavements and Surfacings;
- Accession Number: 00311360
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: ARRB Group Ltd.
- ISBN: 0 86910 353 9
- Files: ITRD, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Jul 22 1980 12:00AM