NON-POLLUTING SANITARY INSTALLATIONS. TOILETS OF NEW DESIGN FOR USE ON RAILWAY PASSENGER COACHES
The last few years, the railway administrations have been urged by public opinion to replace the present train toilets of the open design by closed toilets or at least by toilets enabling the effluents to be properly treated before being discharged on to the track. From the various types of toilets possessing these characteristics, three have already been used on passenger coaches and a fourth could, in the opinion of some Specialists, be adapted. Some other types are under study. The four systems referred to above are described in detail. Subsequently, an account is given of the results of an enquiry, launched to obtain information on the administrative, sanitary and staff questions in the various countries and to ascertain the opinions of the administrations on the various aspects of the question. 22 administrations have sent information, considered highly valuable by the Rapporteur; however, the data referring to costs are rudimentary, because the administrations are not yet in a position to evaluate them in a satisfactory way. The number of systems already under test or planned for operation in the near future should, however, be sufficient to furnish valid results in this field too. The report concludes with some proposals, aiming at a higher degree of efficiency in the continuation of the studies and to make public opinion more conscious of the extensive scope of this problem.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 42 p.
- TRT Terms: Environmental protection; Pollution control; Toilet facilities; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Car design; Question b140; Toilets
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053167
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B140/RP 1/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM