SEISMIC DESIGN OF BRIDGES
This bulletin consists of 2 parts. The first part reviews recent New Zealand research on the ductile design of reinforced concrete bridge piers. The inelastic dynamic analysis of bridge structures, including the effect of soil-structure interaction, to establish the ductility demand of typical reinforced concrete bridge piers when responding to severe earthquakes was studied. Reinforced concrete bridge piers were analytically and experimentally investigated in order to establish the available ductility capacity and hysteretic energy dissipation. A study of the quantity of spiral reinforcement required to confine the concrete and to prevent buckling of longitudinal bars was an important part of the study. The second part of this bulletin presents recent developments in an alternative to the current seismic resistant design approach for bridges and other structures based usually on flexural yielding of members designed to deform in a ductile manner. The alternative method is based on two elements: firstly, the structure is supported on flexible mountings to isolate it from the predominant earthquake ground motion frequencies, and secondly, extra damping is provided to keep deflections within acceptable limits. Details of devices to provide extra damping are described. Results of dynamic analysis studies to investigate the sensitivity of seismic response to principal parameters for bridges incorporating energy dissipators are described and design charts to determine forces and displacement for various earthquake excitations are presented.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/05490030
- Volume 3, Bridge Seminar 1978.
National Roads Board, New ZealandP.O. Box 12-041
Wellington, New Zealand
- Park, R
- Blakeley, RWG
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 145 p.
- Publication of: National Roads Board, New Zealand
- Publisher: National Roads Board, New Zealand
- ISSN: 0549-0030
- TRT Terms: Bars (Building materials); Bridge design; Bridge piers; Bridges; Buckling; Damping (Physics); Dissipation; Ductility; Dynamic loads; Earthquake resistant design; Earthquake resistant structures; Reinforced concrete bridges; Seismicity; Soil structure interaction; Structural analysis; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Seismic response
- Old TRIS Terms: Yield
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Energy; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00311081
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: RRU Bulletin 43
- Files: TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Jun 9 1980 12:00AM