TESTS CONCERNING THE PROBLEMS INVOLVED WITH THE KINEMATIC GAUGE. TESTS AND FINAL REPORT
In connection with the kinematic gauge (UIC question), ORE has conducted a study concerning the position of the bogies and wheelsets in the track. The aim of the studies was to investigate the possibility of abandoning the position of the vehicles in the track, as prescribed in the Technical Unity, and to indicate new and more favourable positions relative to the permissible width of the vehicles. Report No. 1 contains a theoretical study. During this study, graphs were plotted for a curve with R = 150 m, indicating the longitudinal force as a function of the coefficient of adhesion between wheel and rail, in order that the most unfavourable position might be produced. In the present report, graphs were plotted for other curvature radii. The great unknown factor in this problem is the minimum value to be taken into consideration for the coefficient of adhesion. For this purpose, tests were conducted whose description and results are given in an Appendix. Apart from given exceptional cases, the tests have shown that the most unfavourable positions do not occur in reality.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1969-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Adhesion; Coefficient of friction; Dynamics; Gage (Rails); Hunting (Dynamics); Motor vehicle dynamics; Rail (Railroads); Tests; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Question c102; Track gauge; Truck behavior; Truck dynamics
- Subject Areas: Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053143
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: C102/RP 2/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM