PROBLEMS OF INTERACTION OF VEHICLES AND TRACK. PERFORMANCE OF SMALL DIAMETER WHEELS WHEN TRAVERSING A 1 AND 9 CROSSING ON A CURVE OF R = 450 M
In Report No. 7 the C9 Specialists Committee has given a concise account of the results obtained from the studies of the geometry of the contact and the safety against derailment when traversing a 1 in 9 obtuse crossing on a test bench. These studies were requested by the Working Group "Small diameter wheel" of the UIC. In order to obtain a comprehensive picture of the problems involved, the C9 Specialists Committee felt that the performance of small wheels currently used in service should be tested in a crossing on a running line. The principal aim of these tests were to confirm that the values measured on the test bench were not exceeded by wagons in current service. For this purpose, the maximum values of the angle of attack of the wheelsets and the transverse forces on the axleboxes which were due to the effects of the vehicle on the wheelset and to those of the train formation on the individual vehicle, were measured. The tests were conducted in particularly adverse conditions which, however, corresponded to those encountered in service.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1967-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Diameter; Dynamics; Instrumentation; Rail (Railroads); Rolling contact; Test vehicles; Tests; Train track dynamics; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Question c9; Small diameter wheels; Wheel diameter
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00053142
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: C 9/RP 8/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 9 1976 12:00AM