THE STRUCTURES OF NEW, RAIL WAYLINE IN JAPAN
The general planning, construction and special features of the new Shinkansen line between Tokyo and Shin-Osaka, between Shin-Osaka and Okayama, and between Okayama and Hakata are described. The line between Tokyo and Morioka and the line between Omiya and Niigata are under construction. The total length of various structures in the Shinkansen line in operation is shown in a table, and it is noted that the major structures are embankments (45%) in the Tokaido Line, concrete viaducts (49%) in the first phase of the Sanyo Line, and tunnels (52%) in the 2nd phase of the Sanyo Line. Large scale bridges (2nd Abukumagwa bridge, 2nd Okazata viaduct. Taniazaki bridge, the Akayagawa bridge), small bridges (Tanigawa bridge, Kanagase bridge, Aoyania bridge and the Tonegawa bridge) and concrete viaducts (rigid frame viaducts, viaducts of simply supported girders) are described as well as long scale foundation structures such as foundations of steel pipe-pile-walls. Underground structures (underground stations, shield tunnels) are described and structural features of stations are outlined. Architectural features of station buildings and track structures are discussed. Aseismic design of railway structures, countermeasures against snow and countermeasures against noise and ground vibration are also covered.
Buchdruckerei & Verlag Leemann AGArbenzstrasse 20
8008 Zurich, Switzerland
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 28 p.
- International Association for Brdg & Str Engr, Pub
- Publisher: Buchdruckerei & Verlag Leemann AG
- TRT Terms: Bridges; Construction; Earthquake resistant design; Earthquake resistant structures; Embankments; Foundations; Noise control; Planning; Railroad stations; Railroad tracks; Railroads; Ships; Tunnels; Vibration
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Highways; Marine Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00310753
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: IABSE C-8/79
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 8 1980 12:00AM