HEAT TRANSMISSION PHENOMENA IN REFRIGERATOR VANS. THE EFFECT OF PHYSICAL AND PARASITIC FACTORS ON THE K VALUE
Since 1962, the B77 Specialist Committee has conducted a series of tests in the Vienna Arsenal Testing Station and at the Experimental Institute of the FS in Rome. The object of these tests was to compare the methods applying inner heating and cooling, while determining for each, the influence of the fundamental parameters involved in the measurement of the coefficient K. A third report has now been compiled (the present), in which the influence of the various physical and parasitic phenomena which occur in the determination of the coefficient K, are examined. The report gives a detailed account of the tests to ascertain the effect of physical and parasitic factors on the measurement of the k-value. Three significant parameters were specified, namely, the mean wall temperature of the insulation, moisture in the insulation, and the influence of the relative air speed. Certain rules must be observed when measuring the k-value to avoid serious errors. Report No. 3 concludes by comparing the two fundamental methods of measurement, inner heating and inner cooling, which will give approximately similar results when correctly applied during static tests (v = 4 km/h) and when certain rules are observed. It has been found that the inner heating method is simpler and more accurate, and that of inner cooling generally cheaper.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1968-4
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Air conditioning systems; Electric insulating materials; Heat transfer; Heating, cooling and ventilation equipment; Insulating materials; Refrigeration; Refrigerator cars; Tests
- Identifier Terms: Arsenal (Vienna, Austria); Ferrovie dello Stato
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b77
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053134
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B77/RP 3/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM