HEAT TRANSMISSION PHENOMENA IN REFRIGERATED VANS. VARIOUS METHODS USED FOR MEASURING THE HEAT TRANSMISSION COEFFICIENT K
In 1962, the B77 Specialists Committee drew up a programme of work, visualizing three series of tests to be conducted in the Vienna-Arsenal test stations and at the Experimental Institute in Rome. The object of these tests is to compare the methods applying internal heating and internal cooling, while determining for each of these the influence of the fundamental parameters involved in the measurement of the coefficient K. The first Interim Report forming the subject of the following test contains a description of the procedures used by each of the test stations and the error committed during the measurement of the coefficient K according to the procedure applied. The tests on the internal cooling method were conducted by the Vienna-Arsenal test stations and by the Experimental Institute in Rome according to a procedure peculiar to each of them. Including all the precautions taken, the measuring errors are 8.7 and 9.7% respectively at a limit of 10% authorized by the Agreement. The error is 3.2% for the method applying internal heating while using comparable measuring instruments. Though therefore the method of internal cooling has been retained by the Agreement of the Economic Commission for Europe owing to certain advantages which it affords, it nevertheless presents some difficulties: need for a more complex equipment and for a very careful measuring process enabling adequate precision to be achieved and which, in spite of this, continues to be of a practical nature.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1964-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Air conditioning systems; Electric insulating materials; Heat transfer; Heating, cooling and ventilation equipment; Insulating materials; Measuring instruments; Refrigeration; Refrigerator cars; Tests
- Identifier Terms: Arsenal (Vienna, Austria); Ferrovie dello Stato
- Old TRIS Terms: Question b77
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00053132
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B77/RP 1/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM