PREVENTION OF DERAILMENT OF GOODS WAGONS ON DISTORTED TRACKS. CONDITIONS FOR NEGOTATING TRACK TWIST. CALCULATION AND MEASUREMENT OF IMPORTANT VEHICLE PARAMETERS
The report outlines conditions for safe negotiation of track twist to be observed in the design of 2-axled and bogie wagons and describes the relevant calculation method required as well as the experimental determination of the vehicle parameters, in particular torsion properties from twist tests. The main object of this twist test is to determine the actual wheel-load reduction of the leading wheel and to compare this with the permissible wheel-load reduction. This last parameter is determined from certain specific criteria: track twist limit for the vehicle, derailment safety criterion and the guiding force to be considered. Values can be determined direct from twist diagram or indirect from the wheel-load deviation and variation with linear and non-linear suspensions. The limiting values may be calculated or obtained from the appendices for different vehicle parameters. The report is completed by a set of diagrams for determining torsional stiffness of the body of 2-axled wagons with double-link suspension and the torsional stiffness of several types of wagons measured by different administrations. These conditions enable the wagon builder to design new vehicles accordingly and to check existing ones.
- Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Axle loads; Derailments; Prevention; Steering; Train track dynamics; Vehicle design; Wheel loads
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle loadings; Question b55
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00053131
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Union of Railways
- Report/Paper Numbers: B55/RP 6/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 13 1976 12:00AM